Parents Have a Responsibility to Stop Graffiti Vandalism
Graffiti is an act of destructive vandalism! It hurts schools and neighborhoods both aesthetically and economically, decreases the feeling of safety, drains tax dollars, and sends the signal that nobody cares. In response, the City has launched a new, multifaceted campaign to stop graffiti. Our three-pronged approach will address prevention, intervention, and enforcement methods to discourage and eliminate graffiti vandalism - and we need your help! As parents, you are responsible for your child’s actions, so do your part in stopping graffiti!
What Are Some of the Indications That Your Child May be a Graffiti Vandal?
Graffiti vandals may be subjected to:
- • Fines of $1,000 or more per graffiti offense.
• Fines of up to $1,000 for possession of graffiti implements (see above).
• Up to 100 hours of community service.
• Revocation of driver's license.
• Jail time and felony changes.
What Can You do if You Believe Your Child May be Involved in Graffiti Vandalism?
• Encourage open dialogue with your child about potential consequences of graffiti, like expensive fines, revocation of drivers license, community service, and jail time.
• Check your child’s backpack regularly, because possession of graffiti implements, like paint markers, may result in a fine of $1,000.
• Encourage after school activities, like a sport or club that will occupy their time. The City of Oxnard Recreation Department offers after school activities for all ages. Call 385-7995 for more info.
• Contact a school counselor, for ideas about how to communicate with your child.
• Sign up for The Parent Project, a program which empowers parents to deal with strong-willed and out-of-control children. Call Ventura County Youth Services at 973-5101 for more information.
• Call Crime Stoppers, 385-TALK (385-8255) Crime Stoppers will award up to $1,000 for anonymous tips which aid in the arrest of a graffiti vandal.
• Call 911 to report graffiti in progress.
|Parent Flyer (English/Spanish)
[PDF - 688 KB]
|So You Think You Know Your Child's Name (English)
[PDF - 2 MB]
|So You Think You Know Your Child's Name (Spanish)
[PDF - 2 MB]
|This page contains Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf) files. To view PDF documents please download and install the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.|